California state law, the California Healthy Youth Act (“CHYA”), requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students at least once in middle school and once in high school, starting in 7th grade.
Per CHYA (California Education Code Sections 51930-51939), instruction must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians, or other trusted adults about human sexuality. Instruction must be medically accurate, age-appropriate, and inclusive of all students. It must include the following:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about the value of delaying sexual activity.
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS.
- Information about accessing resources for sexual and reproductive health care.
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA-approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law.
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes.
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations.
The curriculum is available for review, upon request. More information is also available on the California Department of Education’s website at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/se/
If you do NOT wish your student to participate in the CHYA Workshop, please complete the opt-out form and return it to your teacher as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or concerns about the CHYA curriculum, please do not hesitate to contact your student’s teacher.
CHYA Workshops will cover the comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education curriculum required by the California Healthy Youth Act (California Education Code Sections 51930-51939) during our annual Wellness Week. Wellness Week 2021-2022 takes place on November 1st through 5th. Students can attend workshops taught by our Healthy Youth Department (consisting of credentialed teachers and nurses). Students are highly encouraged to attend all five days of workshops.
Middle School Workshops: Monday through Friday, 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
High School Workshops: Monday through Friday, 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
Parents/Guardians, if you do NOT wish for your student to participate in CHYA Workshops, please remember to complete and return the CHYA Passive Consent Form.